BBS > Lexaloffle Community Superblog
This is a combined feed of all Lexaloffle user blogs. For Lexaloffle-related news, see @zep's blog.

All | Following | PICO-8 | Voxatron | General | Off-site
[ :: Read More :: ]

Hello!

I am trying to make an unmovable actor (for example, a turret). Ie, the actor collides with other actors, but it is not pushed around.

If I set the actor to not collide with anything, it will not move, but it will also not block other actor's path.

If I set the actor to collide with other actors, It will be pushed around. I tried setting the actor's Density, Gravity, and Friction at around 255, but then I have this weird behavior where if the player
touches the actor, the actor will move 1 voxel TOWARDS the player.

Am I missing something obvious?

Cheers!

P#60615 2019-01-06 06:47

Cart #zoperisodo-5 | 2019-12-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

"funeral march of a marionette"
by charles gounod
arr. @packbat

thanks to alberto simoes and imslp, whose sheet music this was based on.

update 1 : added music
update 2 : added the minor arcana?!
update 3 : visual polish, added back faces to cards
update 4 : minor visual polish

P#60614 2019-01-06 04:29 ( Edited 2019-12-05 11:52)

Hi all, I wanted to share with you an experiment I've been working on called World of Pico. It uses the GPIO pins to transfer map data from a JavaScript context to the cart, allowing for essentially unlimited maps for exploration when the cart is hosted on a webpage. The demo has 3 maps, but I can see this technique being used in combination with a map server, and eventually allowing for interactivity between the client and server.

The method of data transfer is very similar to how P8T by seleb works. Different values on pin 0 of the GPIO tell the JS app or the cart whose turn it is to read and update the following pin values. If you want to explore the source code or read more about the transfer technique, please check out the GitHub repo.

Thanks for taking a look!

P#60611 2019-01-06 00:29

This level is done by Digital Monkey School student Dhruv with help from Matt and Greg
It was done in the in the course of DMS summer camp :)

Cart #meduritur-0 | 2019-01-05 | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#60609 2019-01-05 23:55

Cart #ftg_ctf-0 | 2019-01-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Capture the Flag -- A Pico-8 2D demake of Quake's Threewave Capture the Flag, for one player.

Features:

• Blue flag is hard to capture -- you're going to have to try a few times
  • Grappling hook (which you always have, of course)
  • Hand-built pico-8 physics engine with forces and mass ratios
  • A terrifying escape from the blue base

You have to capture the flag twice to win! Tweet your time with #picoctf or share them here.

Given the precision nature of the game, a gamepad is recommended! You can freely download a gamepad-compatible version of the game for Windows, Linux and Macos at https://frogtoss.itch.io/capture-the-flag.

P#60602 2019-01-05 20:07 ( Edited 2019-01-05 20:21)

A Messenger's Tale

Small RPG by JustFire45

Cart #justfire45_rpg-4 | 2019-01-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

This game is also on itch.io!
[https://justfire45.itch.io/a-messengers-tale]

If you're stuck on a boss, here's a list of all the attacks and how to avoid them: [https://docs.google.com/document/d/1W_Es0RyfjGrkglvmxYQ82PdW34Cisggv8SzUXQCdmUc/edit?usp=sharing]

Plot Summary

The Royal Messenger is asked to deliver a very important letter to the East Kingdom, and stumbles across a rare and powerful artifact.

Equipment

Pieces of equipment are hidden in various places, and can help you a lot in battles. Try finding some!

Weapons
Book - 8 ATK
Baseball Bat - 10 ATK
Shortsword - 12 ATK
Harpoon Gun - 15 ATK

Armour
Clothes - 0 DEF
Dad's Shirt - 5 DEF
Brown Hoodie - 10 DEF

P#60587 2019-01-04 23:32 ( Edited 2019-01-20 01:40)

by oprel
Cart #tori-1 | 2019-01-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Parallel platformer where a you are a bird feeding ground dwelling monsters.

CONTROLS

• Move: Left and Right
  • Jump: Up or Z
  • Switch: Down or X

Description

Go for the fastest time in individual levels or do an entire speedrun in the Timed Run. Try Remix mode for a change of pace: levels are randomly generated and you can make objects and monsters switch layers with you! If you are stuck on a level, press P to reload the current level from the menu.

I built a level a day in #blocktober 2018: @jasperoprel

P#60586 2019-01-04 22:58 ( Edited 2019-01-04 23:49)

Cart #dpmusic1-1 | 2019-01-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

The song Resurrections from Celeste (full game, not the Pico version), remade in PICO-8.

This isn't really the entire song due to memory limitations, but it's still about 3 minutes.
Normally the song transitions between 3 sections based on your progress in the level, this version however has them in the same order as the OST version in one track.

Sprites based on both Celeste and Celeste Classic.
Feel free to use this with credit.

Original by Lena Raine
Celeste
Celeste Classic (PICO-8 Version)

Me
Me on SoundCloud

P#60585 2019-01-04 22:27 ( Edited 2019-01-05 18:16)

Cart #delta_airlines_trivia-0 | 2019-01-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

I was on a flight that had a multiplayer trivia game.
It was very poorly made.
This is a remake of that game, minus the multiplayer element.
(The real game ended after 10 questions, but this one doesn't have an end state. Everything else is as faithfully recreated as possible.)

https://twitter.com/droqen2/status/1078603071964528640

P#60570 2019-01-04 14:19

Cart #supersummer-2 | 2019-01-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

~SUPER SUMMER V0.1~
Move left and right with arrows.
Wait for the fruit and make them bounce on your head !
The game is not finished, it may be super hard.

P#60564 2019-01-04 10:41 ( Edited 2019-01-04 11:17)

Cart #fishbane-0 | 2019-01-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

i remade the dead basics of fishbane in pico-8
what fun!
(took me ~4 hours)

P#60563 2019-01-04 09:34

Cart #yozibiboho-0 | 2019-01-04 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

My first stab at implementing a classic demoscene fire effect, and indeed, a Pico-8 program in general. Seriously enjoying this!

P#60560 2019-01-04 08:35

Cart #brokeneternaldanceengine-1 | 2019-01-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

(Controls: Z/C to hide the interface, X to restart the song, arrow keys to change the animation)

Hello! This is a PICO8 arrangement of 壊れかけの永劫舞踏機関 (Broken Eternal Dance Engine) from the game 連縁天影戦記 ~ Brilliant pagoda or haze castle !

For the card, I made two background animations, one I created myself, and one imported from the Piano Roll Music Visualizer by kittenm4ster

Maybe that later on, I will release a template of this Visualizer where you can make neat animations in sync with the 4th SFX channel.

I also want to thank BusiedGem for the piano transcription that helped me a lot.

"But, what is Len'en Project ?"

Len'en Project is a series of free video games heavily inspired by Touhou Project, entirely made by one person: JynX.

This song is the second theme of Tsurubami Senri, I cut it before the end because I was running out of SFX slots.
You can listen to the official upload of the song here

If you want to learn more about len'en, the English wiki is a good place to start.

http://lenen.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Len%27en_Wiki

P#60542 2019-01-03 20:39 ( Edited 2019-01-03 20:48)

I started using Voxatron today and noticed something strange with the designer UI.
Options near the bottom of the screen are cut off, both in fullscreen and windowed mode.

Am I just being stupid and can't figure out how to scroll, or could it be something to do with my resolution or something?

P#60536 2019-01-03 17:43

Hello, I'm trying to port over some libraries to kickstart prototyping on voxatron (such as 30log or cpml) and I got a weird issue with functions not finding an upvalue.

Let's say we have a B.lua file and a A.lua file
B.lua contains this:

B = {}

B_mt = {}

local function new()
    return setmetatable({}, B_mt)
end

function B.new()
    return new()
end

function B.draw()
    print("Called",0,0,7)
end

B_mt.__index = B
function B_mt.__call()
    return B.new()
end

B = setmetatable({}, B_mt)

It's basically a global class-ish definition with a constructor, an alias to the constructor via __index and the private constructor which is called internally.

Let's say we have an A.lua script which does:

local b = B()

function _update()
end

function _draw()
    b.draw()
end

It simply gets a B instance and calls its draw function yet it doesn't work on Voxatron 0.3.5. I don't know what are the private/public global/local stuff available on this platform but this kind of pattern doesn't work well. I get this kind of error.

In vanilla lua, it works pretty well, I can use dofile or require sequentially those files and call _draw() without error.

So I don't know if it's an error or a quirk designed by Voxatron limitations, but I'd like to know if it's intended and what are the extends of using local/global variables between scripts in Voxatron.

Thanks and have a nice day.

Edit : I'm calling those pseudo-modules because as we don't have Lua's module system, there are a few patterns that allows for psuedo modules to happen. They're just loaded during the cart initialization and in a sequential manner.

Edit 2 : For further indication, this is cpml's way of making classes.

P#60532 2019-01-03 16:28 ( Edited 2019-01-03 16:40)

Sorry if this is a duplicate, but I could not find my precise issue in the bugs discussion.

Running

Cart #snowman-5 | 2019-01-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

in Chrome on Windows 7, I notice that if I navigate away from the tab and then back, that while I was not viewing the tab, graphics updates do not proceed. However, music continues. This breaks carts which rely on stat(20), stat(24), stat(26) etc. It is not a problem for me because I prefer to remain engaged with a cart as long as I am playing it anyway, but I am not certain if this issue was present prior to the recent updates or not.

P#60529 2019-01-03 14:15 ( Edited 2019-01-03 14:15)

Cart #alphastrike_delux-12 | 2019-01-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

OVERVIEW

Alpha Strike Deluxe is a shoot-em-up in the classic NES style. Shoot your way through 5 levels, destroy everything that moves and save the world from danger. It's a remake of my 2016 game Alpha Strike, now with better code, silky smooth 60FPS and swanky graphical effects!

WHAT WAS CHANGED?

• no more grid! Every object in the game moves smoothly and isn't bound to the grid now!
  • separate scores and lives for both players!
  • graphical improvements! New sprites for all enemies, some terrain sprites, and swanky graphical effects like trails and explosions! No more 8x8 explosions and tiny spaceship trails!
  • balance fixes! The difficulty curve is now smoother and the game is a bit easier (but not too easy!)
  • that new-fangled fancy 60FPS thing you apparently wanted! Back in the 90s, everyone was happy with 30FPS and no one complained!

CONTROLS

Pico-8 D-Pad/arrow keys - move ship
Pico-8 (X) button/X key - shoot bullets

TIPS

Every 10000 points net you an extra life.
Collect powerups to enhance your weapon.
When you die, you lose your weapon.
When you get a game over, you can use one of the two continues you have.

CHEAT CODES

Use only if you want to ruin your fun! Those are the same as in the original Alpha Strike.

Enter those at title screen.
U,R,D,D - invincibility
U,D,D,R - full power
L,U,D,D,R - 10 lives
R,R,L,U - 99 continues
U,L,U - stage 2
U,L,L - stage 3
U,L,D - stage 4
U,L,R - stage 5

CHANGELOG

v1.0

• initial public release

ITCH.IO LINK

https://adrianmakesgames.itch.io/alpha-strike-deluxe

ORIGINAL ALPHA STRIKE

Cart #26071 | 2016-07-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

CREDITS

(CC) 2019 Adrian Makes Games. Crafted with love (and Pico-8) in Poland. Music by @Gruber_Music, @Synth_dfr, @Viggles, @Robby_Duguay and @adrian09_01.

P#60527 2019-01-03 14:05 ( Edited 2019-01-03 21:45)

Cart #tetraminisdeffect-5 | 2019-01-08 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Paying homage to the 2018 installment of the franchise.
https://twitter.com/tromagon

P#60520 2019-01-03 03:31 ( Edited 2019-01-08 01:32)

Cart #tiny_swordfighter-1 | 2019-01-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Tiny Swordfighter is a swordfighting game, and it's pretty tiny, but it's got some fun features:

• Swords
  • Guns
  • Bump-mapped lighting
  • Flowfield pathfinding (solves shared paths for many enemies at once)
  • Auto-save
  • A bossfight at the end

It's pretty close to finished, but I figured I'd try doing a WIP post to get some feedback for final adjustments. I'm nearly out of tokens, but there's still some room to optimize some more out, so I can do a small amount of extra stuff. I know it still needs some sound effects and a bossfight song, but other than that, let me know if you find any problems - confusing stuff, frustrating stuff, broken stuff, tedious stuff, etc.

P#60506 2019-01-02 19:20

Cart #turboragestrike_wip-0 | 2019-01-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

something I've been playing around with for a couple of weeks: shoot bad guys, fly around, do flips, standard 80s stuff. i don't know where to take this, but this cart will probably be a sandbox to try stuff.

missing features:

• gameplay

the music can be an earworm to some people, be advised.

P#60503 2019-01-02 17:16 ( Edited 2019-01-02 17:21)
View Older Posts